Open High School Placement Test (HSPT®)
Level: Grades 8.3-9.3
Working Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
The Open HSPT® is an earlier edition of the Closed HSPT®. It is scored locally with the Open HSPT® School Scoring Kit. The Open HSPT® provides national normative measures in the following cognitive and basic skills areas: verbal and quantitative skills, reading, mathematics, and language. It is available in large print. Schools can also purchase an additional test in the area of science.
Cognitive skills quotients (CSQs), standard scores, national and local percentiles, as well as grade equivalents are standard features of Open HSPT® reports. The Rasch Item-Response Theory one-parameter model is used to develop the standard score scale and enables reliable year-to-year comparisons to be made. The HSPT® E-Score for PC is available for use with the Open HSPT®.
- The Manual for Hand Scoring and Interpreting Results acts as a guide to define the results while scoring
the Open HSPT®.
- The Technical Supplement and Validity Studies provide statistical information on the development,
validity, and reliability of the Open HSPT®.
- The Class Record Sheet presents raw scores, national percentiles, standard scores, scaled scores, age scores,
and CSQs obtained from the cognitive and basic skills areas of the Open HSPT®, as well as from any optional
test taken by the students.
- Student Score Report contains an explanation of how to graph and interpret test results.
- The Practice Test is a 4-page booklet with three items from each of the five Open HSPT® subtests and a
sample answer sheet to familiarize students with item types and tasks.
HSPT® Sample Sets
Only high schools may purchase sample sets of the HSPT® and the Open HSPT®. Sample sets are postage paid, but are nonreturnable. To order, contact us by email, or call 1.800.642.6787.